Sunday, September 12, 2010

Rome still....

Alright, where was I? Its been a few days so let me think.... Okay, so after the meat inspection I sat down with the extended family and the cooks cut up and prepared something like all of the twenty pounds of meat samples. So platter after platter of veal, beef and lamb is coming to the table and needless to say I was stuffed and didn't eat again til the next day at lunch. Anyway the rest of the day was chill. So like Tuesday I got a sore throat. Not bad but stupid none the less. So for a few days really just hung out and relaxed. On Wednesday, after lunch with Fabio, the manager from the hostel, and Andy Steves (Rick Steves son) walked into the Trastevere, which is a cool not to touristy neighborhood. It was overcast and started to sprinkle, whatever I thought, but this "light" sprinkle turned into a raging torment complete with 30 mph+ winds in all of about 4 minutes. Torrential. I was soaked, trying to hide behind trees, I was right next to the Tiber river (the same river on which Romulus and Remus went for a splash, do you know this? Look it up!!) which is lined by trees and sidewalks and there is no cover what so ever. And none near either. So I gave up on the Trastevere, and started walking back to the metro. Heres the bonus though, strolling through (and at this point whats the rush i'm not getting any wetter) Romes winding streets alone and clean and fresh, it wasn't really cold, but everyone just vanished. Frightened of the rain, huddling indoors I suppose, but who cares it was beautiful. No crowds no people. Didn't help my cold, but oh well, better now, and it was worth it. On Friday I got my contract signed. In Italy you write a contract with your demands and then see if it is approved. I wrote up a fairly juicy contract and F and I went over it, which took a few days of waiting and wandering around Rome trying to get lost (Tues-Thurs). It was pretty easy. It's a big city. Ate food, relaxed, saw some sights, two days later made it to the Trastevere, cool neighborhood, complete with beautiful meat shops with cured chunks of pig hanging everywhere. Just like on TV!! Very Italian. Then on Friday got signed, got some cash. Basically i'm getting free room and free meals at the restaurant, and bar, and five grand. Not to mention living in Rome for a month. So some changes in travel plans and no wedding in Kansas or pizza in Chicago, but a unique experience that I couldn't say no to. All for just bestowing my endless restaurant knowledge on a open minded, vibrant culture, that wants to have a service standard as high as mine. Take that Tysn!

No comments:

Post a Comment